Are you getting into a mild panic when you can’t find your cell phone?
We’ve all become remarkably dependent on those clever little mobile devices but somehow more than 100 disappear — either through carelessness or theft — every minute.
Often, the loss is not just a matter of inconvenience. Sometimes, phones contain lots of confidential information that could lead to all sorts of trouble if they get into the wrong hands.
So try to get better at looking after your cell phone and read some tips on how to do that.
- Don’t take it out of your pocket or purse and place it on a table or wherever you happen to be sitting. It’s easy to forget and it’s an easy target for thieves.
- Store it in a fastened pocket or purse to avoid pickpockets.
- Be careful when using it in a public or crowded place. Thousands of phones are snatched from their owners every day.
- Don’t leave it in view in your car.
- Keep it locked with a password, so, even if it gets stolen, thieves won’t be able to access the data. Setting a password will also allow you to choose whether the data is automatically deleted after a few attempts to log in.
- Install and activate a remote locator app — like Find my iPhone or Phone Locator Pro on Android. This will enable you to track your device, whether it’s lost or stolen.
Don’t forget too to regularly back-up your cellphone data to your PC or to a cloud service so, if the worst happens, you can reinstall it on a new device.
If you lose your phone, report it to your service provider, the police and your insurer, if it’s insured.
If you’re not clear on what insurance coverage is provided both through homeowners insurance and standalone policies (don’t forget about breakage as well), please call us. We can clarify for you, and, if necessary, put the right insurance protection in place.