The New Year is a great time to readjust your goals – and those of your employees…
Before the year gets going and you get bogged down with your normal routine take a moment to think of what you’d like to accomplish in business this year.
Once you know your goals, take some time right away to share your expectations with each employee. Get started on the right foot!
So what is the best way to set achievable goals for employees?
Here are some great rules of thumb for creating effective and do-able employee goals:
- First, meet with each employee individually. Yes, you may have group meetings later but show each employee the courtesy and attention they deserve. This can go a long way in building loyalty…
- Next, boost the employee’s engagement to your business. Explain how their work fits into the whole process and encourage them to take ownership…
- Now it is time to articulate your exact expectations. People don’t react well to vague or scattered ideas. Have a clear list of what you expect this employee to do throughout the year..
- Tell them how you are going to check on their progress. This will make them feel noticed and feel like they are doing these tasks for a reason.
- Finally, make sure you follow up throughout the year. Take some time keep them accountable and commend them for a job well done with words, notes and incentives!
What if an employee falls off the wagon and does not accomplish their goals?
Once you make sure the goals were accomplishable, you need to have a meeting with that employee and nip the problem in the bud. Call them to task in a gentle way and remind them that you are here to protect the interests of the company and that each step is critical.
All of us here at Goodwill Financial wish you a great and productive business year in 2016!
Team Goodwill Financial