With summer quickly approaching, many boat owners are already gearing up for recreational boating season. While boating can be a fun activity for the whole family, it is important to make sure you, your family, and your boat are protected both on the water and at the dock. When you’re out on the water, your top priority should always be ensuring the safety of yourself and your passengers. Here are a few of the many ways you can make sure you’re sailing safely:
- Have a Life Vest for Each Passenger – The U.S. Coast Guard requires that a vessel must have one life vest per person on board.
- Take Water Safety Courses – Errors account for 70% of boating accidents, according to the U.S. Coast Guard. That is why it is important take boat safety classes in your area before getting behind the wheel.
- Follow All Maritime Laws – Just as drivers need to follow the rules of the road, boaters are required to follow all maritime laws.
- Carry a First Aid Kit – You never know what will happen out on the water. Carrying a well-stocked first aid kit will help you be prepared for a variety of accidents.
- Never Allow Drinking and Driving – We are all familiar with this law when it comes to our cars, but the same is true for boats. Boating under the influence is just as dangerous as drinking and driving.
- Be sure that you have the right Insurance coverage.
What coverages are available in a Boat Owners Insurance policy? Call us now: 630-785-2412, we will help you with all your Boat and Family Insurance needs.